Fitbit’s Premium Service off to a good start
News in from Fitbit states that the new SUBSCRIPTION service that they started in 2019 has already passed the 500,000 users mark. However, with a 3-month free trial it’s not totally clear if the 500,000 are all subscribers…likely not!
Let’s be generous and say that 400,000 will keep on subscribing. Well, at $80 a year that’s a very nice $3.2m income stream for them.
Back in 2015, Fitbit acquired Fitstar and their training programs for just under $25m, and those training programs form part of the current offering. They have also been a paid-for feature since 2015 IIRC and I’m assuming were essentially rebranded and added to as FITBIT PREMIUM. However, Fitbit PREMIUM is more than simply workouts and includes more in-depth data, personalized and actionable insights, hundreds of workouts, motivating games and challenges, advanced sleep tools and wellness reports, with the feature set to grow as well as it being supported in more language versions. In more detail you get this generally impressive offering:
- Engaging health and fitness content: Hundreds of audio and video workouts to try including dance cardio, HIIT, yoga and more from popular brands like Aaptiv, barre3, Daily Burn, Down Dog, obé, Physique 57, POPSUGAR and Yoga Studio by Gaiam, as well as celebrities, trainers and influencers like Ayesha Curry, Charlee Atkins and Harley Pasternak.
- Ayesha Curry’s Premium Summer: Recently added new exclusive content from the New York Times bestselling author, chef, restaurateur and fitness enthusiast, focused on her passions: food and fitness. Six original videos feature quick and effective workouts, delicious and nutritious meals, and family-friendly activities.
- #FitAtHome: Join Le Sweat TV Founder Charlee Atkins and celebrity trainer Harley Pasternak for full-body sessions that keep you active and help you reach your goals from the comfort of your own home.
- Practice mindfulness: Over 100 mindfulness practice sessions help you manage stress, improve focus, relax, improve body positivity or unwind before bed, including sessions from Aura, Breethe and Ten Percent Happier.
- Deeper sleep analysis: Deeper analysis of your free daily Sleep Score, with a breakdown of your score and graphs to show how it’s calculated based on time asleep, deep and REM sleep stages and restoration, plus audio relaxation tools.
- Personalized and cross-correlated insights: Guidance and feedback based specifically on your data to help you make smarter choices about your health; for example, “Yesterday you earned 35 active minutes—more than your usual 20 minutes. You also slept 25 minutes more than your average 6 hours and 45 minutes. Move more, snooze more!”
- Guided programs: A variety of custom programs to help you achieve your health and fitness goals –– from nutrition programs like “Eat to Beat Cholesterol,” to increasing activity with “Get Active” and “Run Training,” to improving sleep with “Get More Sleep.”
- Premium games and challenges: Connect with friends and family on exclusive challenges, like Get Fit Bingo or even create a custom challenge, for more motivation.
- Wellness report: An easy-to-read overview of your health data, including stats and charts about heart health, weight, sleep and activity that can be used to facilitate conversations with your healthcare providers.