Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commissionReading Time: 2 minutes
Garmin Edge Firmware Updates
Some nice, new features have found their way into Garmin’s current crop of Edge devices. They are only in beta at the moment and I wouldn’t recommend you try a beta release but Garmin tends to release pretty good software at this stage, so it’s your call.
- Garmin Edge 530 Updates here
- Garmin Edge 830 Updates here
- Garmin Edge 1030 Updates here
- Garmin Edge 1030 Plus Updates here
You can click on the link above for your own device and see the full details there so I won’t dwell too much on the differences between each model’s updates. There are two broad factors at play here 1) trickle-down of existing features to older models and b) some new featurettes.
- Added CIQ 3.2 support and BLE sync support for the Connect IQ app.
- Indoor Training gets a smart trainer widget that includes Tacx Road Feel controls, Fixed course points for indoor trainer rides and the Virtual Partner to the map page when following course or activity on an indoor trainer.
- Simple Setup comes from the 1030+ (which is quite nice) and which copies across activity profiles and sensors from Garmin Connect during initial setup. You’ve already got a 530 so this shouldn’t affect you!
- Added device-driven Livetrack and course sharing.
- Added configurable radar ‘All Clear’ tone.
- Segments – fixes
- Improved reliability of FTP auto-detection (this might need some testing and to check on the thresholds, I did a maximal 19.5-minute effort a while back but the FTP wasn’t updated and I assumed Garmin looks for a full 20-minute effort, which is crazy)
- Support for metabolic calories in the activity file.