Apple Running Power – How to try it out
Apple recently announced new features that will come to iOS 16 and watchOS 9 in August 2022. Those features include running power on the Watch as well as running dynamics and a new triathlon sports profile. These features ARE available NOW in beta but how can you try them out?
Your first problem is that there is no public beta until w/c 11 July.
There is a developer-only beta available now but you need to pay money to register for that and it costs about $100/£80.
So let’s assume you are not THAT desperate to try it out and that you can wait until w/c 11 July. What do you do then?
Register for the Beta Programs
You will want to update your iPhone to iOS 16 beta and then your watch to watchOS 9 beta. After registering you need to download and install what Apple call a ‘Profile’ for each.
Register & Install iOS 16 beta
- Sign Up on the Apple Beta page and register with your Apple ID.
- “Enroll your iOS device.”
- Go to beta.apple.com/profile on your iOS device.
- Download the configuration profile.
- Go to Settings to enable the profile. General > VPN and Device Management and choose the iOS 16 beta profile.
Install watchOS 9 beta
- On your iPhone tap https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/.
- Tap watchOS and then the Enroll your Apple Watch link. https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/enroll#watchos
- Install the profile at Settings> General> Profiles & Device Management.
- Your watch will be automatically updated if it has a 50% charge and is on the charger.
What is Apple Running Power?
A: It’s easiest to think of Running Power as being similar to effort rather than similar to speed. Thus it’s a great way to pace yourself consistently over varying terrain. Running Power takes into account, to varying degrees; slope, air density, surface conditions, wind and weight.
This content is not sponsored. It’s mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee ❤️ Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners. Thank you! FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: Links pay commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.