Link to: garmin.com
Spotify is a big music streaming service, especially in the EU. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised that Garmin have this all agreed with Spotify in 2018. I understood that there were licensing and other competitive issues (eg Samsung!) that could have delayed this…obviously not.
This is an important move for Garmin and music-loving runners
It’s also great that dynamic playlists are supported.
- Doesn’t work on the Forerunner 645 Music and Vivoactive 3 Music
- Only works on the Fenix 5 Plus Series (5 Plus, 5X Plus, 5S Plus Bible Review)
My guess is this ‘problem; will be sorted out very quickly and all the above devices will be supported before Christmas.
- Spotify PREMIUM users only
- Offline storage limits on your watch
- Requires a paried smartphone
- It’s not a true end-to-end streaming service. The music/podcast files must be sync’d to your Garmin device either by WiFi or Garmin Connect (mobile, desktop).
The end-to-end problem can only be solved by Garmin releasing a device that contains cellular connectivity (an envisaged Fenix 6 or Forerunner 945 perhaps?). That will come but it is not imminent – Apple Watch and some WearOS devices already do this.
Paired smartphone info via @jActiveJR1