Wahoo Tickr X Gen 2 First Thoughts
The Wahoo Tickr Gen 2 and Wahoo Tickr X Gen 2 nicely revamp and replace the original Wahoo straps from 4 years ago.
For the same price as before you get: a snazzier, more compact design; a bit more connectivity; and a much-welcomed longer battery life. The Wahoo Tickr X Gen 2 further adds in Garmin running dynamics support plus some peripheral features.
Should I buy one?
This is a tricky one and the answer is perhaps not so obvious.
If you want a decent strap at a sub-Garmin price then Wahoo Tickr Gen 2 is a nice one to go for purely on cost-per-quality grounds but you could equally get the equally-accurate & robust Polar H9.
I’d say users of high-end Garmin watches that support caching should stick with the likes of the old but awesome Garmin HRM-TRI (HRM-RUN, HRM-SWIM) which remains triathlon’s greatest HRM. That’s what I certainly plan to do until Garmin further revamp their top-end HRM range.
For everyone else, the answer is ‘shrug’. If I was an avid user of Zwift needing multiple BLE connections or running without a watch then I would give the Wahoo Tickr Gen 2 some more serious consideration, yet even the Polar H10 has two Bluetooth conenctions and ANT+ combined with a solid construction.
Wahoo Tickr & Wahoo Tickr X – Key Features
Both now deliver a whopping 500 hours of usage from a replaceable CR2032 coin cell battery and both support 3x BLE and unlimited ANT+ connections to apps, sensors and gym equipment. Tickr does that with a re-designed pod that claims to also give a slimmer pod.
The Wahoo Tickr X offers a few more goodies, however, I’m not so sure that these extras will have mass appeal and mass usefulness. But if one of these special features is just what you are looking for then you will find it hard to find the same niche features in competing products for the same price.
- Garmin Running Dynamics (VO, GCT and cadence), running efficiency is also shown on the Wahoo app
- 50 hours memory in the pod (for syncing back to the Wahoo app NOT to Garmin watches)
- Indoor training metrics – speed and distance when running, cadence when cycling.
- Gym users or watch-free runners can cache workouts via the Wahoo app and then on to 3rd party sports platforms – there’s no need for an expensive sports watch!
- Smart workout control features through the Wahoo app (tap-to-lap, music control)
Wahoo Tickr X Gen 2 Specs
- Part Number: TICKRX WFBTHR04X, TICKR White – WFBTHR04, TICKR Stealth – WFBTHR04G
- Physical Dimensions (LxWxH): “2.5”” L x 0.2″” W x 1.5″” H (6.3cm L x 1cm W X 3cm H)
- Weight: 1.7 oz (48 g) with strap
- Battery: Coin Cell (CR2032)
- Battery Life: Over 500 active hours
- Sweatproof: Yes (Handwashable Strap)
- Water Rating: IPX7 (Waterproof up to 5 ft.)
- Strap Length: Adjustable from 23″ to 48″
Buy Wahoo Tickr X
Initially, there is good stock directly from Wahoo using the link below. Over time these will become widely available including on Amazon. They are available bundled with Wahoo Elemnt Roam and other Wahoo bundles from 15/May/2020
Support the work here and buy Wahoo Tickr X by clicking the image below or clicking here: link to wahoofitness.com
Wahoo Tickr - First Thoughts
Price - 90%
Likely Accuracy - 98%
Features, Including App - 95%
Openness & Compatability - 98%
Get this if you want a decently priced chest strap with great connectivity options OR if you do NOT already use a high-end Garmin tri/run sports watch. Garmin 945/F5/F6/935 owners might want to stick to HRM-TRI or HRM-DUAL for now.