Garmin Forerunners – soon
Here are some thoughts on the likely imminence of some new Garmin running/multisport watches (Sept 9). Garmin’s medium-term plans were part-leaked quite some time ago and I reported the leaks here. However, the purpose of this post is to put into context some much more recent ‘happenings’.
First a word of caution: Obviously CV19 has affected plans. Last year’s leak of future products did NOT include the Forerunner 655, even though that model is overdue.
- Think about the recently released Garmin beta firmware for the Forerunner 945/F6. It includes EVENT TRACKING which supports the broadcasting of your planned course and route completion on a multi-stage triathlon course. You might question how this feature will work in OWS & T1 when you haven’t yet picked up your phone from transition (not that any serious triathlete would carry a phone at any point on a triathlon)
- Question, how useful is multisport course tracking when only enabled by a smartphone’s transmission? A: Not very
- Remember, the 955LTE was leaked last year
- The Garmin Forerunner 45 Plus was probably accidentally released on Garmin’s website last week. It’s quite possible that Garmin slipped this very minor release out, unannounced as it was so trivial.
- Question, why was it not ‘released’ in the USA? A: Because it was a mistake
- Question, is it likely Garmin just had a plan to release only the FR45+? A: No, it would require too many marketing resources for a peripheral product
- Question, where is the FR45s Plus model? A: Still there. The person in charge of rescheduling Garmin UK’s product pages spotted that one.
- @JohnK reports the Forerunner 645 falling to GBP199 at Argos in the UK and there are numerous out-of-stock situations of this product at different UK/RoI retailers.
- There tends to be a Sept/Oct major release ahead of Christmas, although that can be for Vivoactive variants that are not targetted at the super-sporty.
- The Forerunner 745 WAS leaked as a planned model for 2020-21, as was the FR955LTE. The 745 WILL BE released in September (Probability: 100%)
- Some readers’ comments that recent images of either a 745 or 955 show LTE logos are interesting. We could be seeing the impending release of a 745 + 955LTE, or perhaps there is a 745 and 745LTE
- The logic here is that perhaps some of the leaks from a year ago or so mistakenly had the 955LTE as the next iteration and then it was later decided instead to call it the 745LTE and remove some of the 955 features…this does make more sense that might initially appear to be the case.
- I have zero intel that a 955-anything is due.
Have a look at the original post. Several of the predictions HAVE already happened. The cynics will scoff at the lack of HRM-PRO (fair enough, but you won’t be scoffing in September!) but there are STILL retailer websites that show its existence from the time of the original leak and confirm that it will deliver Skiing Dynamics and, IIRC, there are other retailer websites that include the skiing dynamics support on the F6. Google is your friend.